The Courtyard and the Chateau de Saint Marc were built by a family originally from Servies, who made their fortune from the manufacture of tiles and bricks. They owned 200 hectare of land, including farms and vineyards, and china tops have been found marked LAITERIE DE St MARC : P.LOUPIAC : DAMIATE (note the older spelling of what is now Damiatte), so clearly the dairy produced more than the estate needed. The wine container tops with the Chateau's name and the name LOUPIAC have been found here too. The remains of the old winery is still here; the places where the grapes were crushed, storage rooms and a vat, some of the barrels, and the huge arched building with the groove along the ground where the barrels would have been rolled. An old photograph in a book shows how the Gatehouse once looked, and an old postcard showing oxen ploughing circa 1910 shows the box hedges only a few inches high, when they were first planted.
Some local information:
- Nearest Golf Course, Fiac, 5 kilometres (8 more within 50 kilometres).
- Nearest village Servies, with bar/restaurant, less than 1 kilometre.
- Nearest shops Damiatte, less than 4 kilometres.
- Nearest market, doctor, pharmacy, dentist, hairdresser, bakers, butchers, florist, bars/restaurants, etc, Saint Paul Cap de Joux, 4 kilometres.
- Nearest garages 4 kilometres, L'Albarede and Saint Paul Cap de Joux.
- Nearest towns Castres (population 47,000), 20 kilometres,
Lavaur 20 kilometres, Puylaurens 15 kilometres.
- Golf at Fiac, 5 kilometres.
- Kayaking at Vielmur, 7 kilometres.
- Fishing, closest river the Agout at Servies, 0.5 kilometres.
- Swimming pool complexes indoor and out at Castres, 20 kilometres,
and outdoor at Lautrec, 10 kilometres.
- Ice skating at Castres 20 kilometres.
- Horse riding 10 kilometres.
- Paintball at the Chateau de Belcastel.
- Le Cri de Tarzan at Puylaurens (above ground adventure in the trees).
- Toulouse International Airport 45 minutes.
- Carcassonne Airport 80 minutes.
- Eurostar Change platforms at Lille direct to Toulouse.
- Autoroutes to Toulouse, with link to Castres being finalised just outsidePuylaurens, 15 kilometres.
- Train station Damiatte 4 kilometres.
- Buses Saint Paul Cap de Joux 4 kilometres.
- We are on the D49 just outside the village of Servies,
(postcode 81220) almost opposite the lake.
To find the Chateau de Saint Marc on Google Earth, search for the village of Servies, Midi Pyrenees, postcode 81220 (it's just by a huge loop in the river Agout; the restaurant in Servies overlooks the river). Just past Servies you come to the lake, although it's considerably bigger now than when the Google picture was taken. On the other side of the road you will see the Chateau's Park shaped like a horseshoe, adjoining the road, outlined in white, with the Chateau and Courtyard in the centre.
You are welcome to visit at any pre-arranged time. There are many hotels in Lavaur and Castres, and www.bosclebat.com a beautiful manoir with rooms and apartments to let just 15 minutes away across the Golf Course.